The Outside Lands festival can be a little overwhelming. It features a ton of headliners you've heard of (Metallica, that "Neil Young" dude) and a ton of bands you've probably never heard of (Honey Island Swamp Band). Because we want you to be "that guy/that girl" who knows everything and sounds sooOoOoOOoo smart as you stand with your overpriced microbrew swaying along, we've asked Steph Dub and the team over at Soundtracking to give you a mixtape cheat sheet of who you shouldn't miss.
For a little context, Soundtracking is a free app that allows you to capture the moment when you're listening to a song and share it with your friends (does it sound like I'm pitching you? I am). For more context: I'm obsessed with Soundtracking.
Here's Steph's take on the job I tasked her crew with: "Our mix is jammed full of songs from each of our MUST-SEE artists performing at Outside Lands. Many of these bands have been soundtraking our office AND personal lives as of late, which makes it that much more awesome for us to be able to add them to this mix!"
This is "Let's Go Outside," a mixtape guide to this year's Outside Lands.
(Click the link above to have your mind blown on Spotify.)
1. Papa - I Am The Lion King
2. Yellow Ostrich - Stay at Home
3. Tanlines - All Of Me
4. Geographer - Verona
5. Passion Pit - Better Things
6. Mark Farina feat. Sean Hayes - Dream Machine
7. White Denim - Shy Billy
8. Allen Stone - Say So
9. Tom Morello - Speak and Make Lightning
10. Father John Misty - Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
11. Sharon Van Etten - Leonard
12. Birdy - Skinny Love
13. City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness
14. Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes
15. Tennis - Origins
16. Electric Guest - This Head I Hold
17. The Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Ain't Nothin' But A Party
18. Portugal. The Man - People Say
19. The Walkmen - Stranded
20. Alabama Shakes - On Your Way
21. Dispatch - Out Loud
22. Michael Kiwanuka - I'll Get Along
23. Stevie Wonder - Living For The City
Outside Lands starts this Friday, August 10th, and won't stop bringing the music until Sunday, August 12th. You should buy tickets here and go, because the event is made of musical unicorns and rainbows.