DJ Lil' Elle is presumably little. More importantly, she's a DJ and that's awesome, because they basically make mixtapes for a living.
When she's not DJ'ing, Ellen Lovelidge is a visual artist by trade. What's more amazing to me is that she's also a trained oceanic biologist, just for sport (I know, right). No, seriously: she went to Penn State for Biology and then spent five years in Washington D.C. working in Fisheries Biology with NOAA. As of today, you know a bad ass DJ who also just happens to be a fish scientist. NBD.
(Pretty sure "fish scientist" isn't a thing, but it sounded funny so I went with it.)
While she was in DC, she built her DJ career and began to play events all over the country, eventually bringing her talents to SF, where she lives in the Lower Haight with a toy poodle, @talk2samson. She loves to spin hip-hop but also likes indie sounds and weird dance music that defies genres. This last year, she went on her first self-booked, six city Coast 2 Coast tour. Now she's focusing on private gigs (she just DJ'd on a motherf*cking boat for a Right Blend/Google wine event a week ago) and traveling to DJ across the world. If you're like me, you're now reading this and you're officially jealous/crying and wondering why you didn't become a DJ for a living.
Her mix, "Empowering and Devouring" is a name inspired by her first roommate in San Francisco, @lizsf, who has been inspiring her mixes for ages and inspiring her, in general, to empower herself and devour the world around her.
"This mix is a collection of songs that while playing in my headphones as I'm walking through the city or on speakers blasting in my office, I want to kick ass and take the world by storm. I don’t play dubstep or anything like this really in my DJ sets, but this is what I listen to on the regular. Maybe a little girl power-ish but also just strong songs to drive success. Some dubstep, some weird house music and remixes, some pop, some hip-hop. The world is our oyster and it’s time to slurp it up!"
This is Empowering and Devouring.
1. Ellie Goulding - Figure 8
2. Jessie Ware - Running (Disclosure Remix)
3. Ladyhawke - Blue Eyes
4. Theophilus London - Love Is Real (Fred Falke Remix)
5. Clockwork - The Amazons (Clockwork Remix)
6. Kid Sister - Hide & Seek
7. Katy B - Katy On A Mission
8. Rusko - Hold On (Sub Focus Remix)
9. Florence + The Machine - Spectrum (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
10. M.I.A. / Missy Elliot / Rye Rye - Bad Girls (Switch Remix)
11. Sak Noel - Loca People
12. Bob Sinclair - Love Generation
13. Lady - Twerk
14. Die Antwoord - Baby's On Fire
15. Joker - The Vision (Let Me Breathe)
16. Skream - Where You Should Be
17. Lucy Love - We Are The Stars
18. Mark Farina - Dream Machine
19. Justice - TTHHEE PPAARRTTYY
20. Trina - Currency
21. Beenie Man - Feel It Boy
*"Game On" Photo taken by Ellen Lovelidge